awesome Small House Plan Osborne House, Isle of Wight

Osborne House, Isle of Wight

Osborne House is a former royal residence in East Cowes, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom. The house was built between 1845 and 1851 for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert as a summer home and rural retreat. Prince Albert designed the house himself in the style of an Italian Renaissance palazzo. The builder was Thomas Cubitt, the London architect and builder whose company built the main façade of Buckingham Palace for the royal couple in 1847. An earlier smaller house on the site was demolished to make way for a new and far larger house, though the original entrance portico survives as the main gateway to the walled garden.

Queen Victoria died at Osborne House in January 1901. Following her death, the house became surplus to royal requirements and was given to the state, with a few rooms being retained as a private museum to Queen Victoria. From 1903 until 1921 it was used as a junior officer training college for the Royal Navy, known as the Royal Naval College, Osborne. In 1998 training were consolidated at the Britannia Royal Naval College, now at Dartmouth. Osborne House is open to the public for tours.

Posted by photphobia on 2017-01-26 10:31:40

Tagged: , Osborne House , Royal Residence , Queen Victoria , East Cowes , Cowes , Isle of Wight , UK , Old Wives Tale , Outdoor , Outside , 19th Century , Grounds , Field , Landscape , Grass , Plant , Tree , Garden , Italian Renaissance Palazzo , Old House , Old Mansion , Buildings , Building , Buildings are Beautiful , Architecture

amazing Small House Design Glynn Road, Forest Hill Historic District, Cleveland Heights, OH

Glynn Road, Forest Hill Historic District, Cleveland Heights, OH

These Norman Revival-style houses, built in 1929-30, are located in the Forest Hill Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, and are the remnants of a failed upscale housing development that fell through due to the Great Depression. This area was originally home to the Forest Hill Estate, the site of the Rockefeller Family’s summer home. It was intended to become a large, upscale, Norman-style development known as Forest Hill; however, it instead saw only a small number of buildings constructed to the original plan. Designed by Andrew J. Thomas, only the Heights Rockefeller Building, the street grid, and 81 Norman-style houses of the planned 500+ houses, an inn, apartments, and other commercial structures were built, leaving the area rather sparsely populated throughout its early years. The land intended to become the development’s country club, over 200 acres west of Lee Road and straddling the border with East Cleveland, were donated by John Rockefeller, Jr. in 1939, becoming Forest Hill Park, owned by the City of Cleveland Heights. In 1948, the undeveloped lots were sold to George A. Roose, who developed the area as a more typical suburb, abandoning the aesthetic direction of the original plan, and constructing a series of more modest and less ornate houses on the lots. Today, the Heights Rockefeller Building and the remaining original houses, as well as the street grid, are the legacy of a big dream that, unfortunately, did not pan out due to the Great Depression.

Posted by w_lemay on 2018-07-08 01:54:26

Tagged:

amazing Small House Ideas The Entertaining Garden by Earth Designs. www.earthdesigns.co.uk. London Garden Design and landscape build.

The Entertaining Garden by Earth Designs. www.earthdesigns.co.uk. London Garden Design and landscape build.

A modern garden design landscaped in Woodford, Essex
Click edit above to add content to this empty capsule.

‘All Hands on Deck’ by Earth Designs

A modern garden design landscaped in Woodford, Essex

Earth Designs – garden Design and Build were asked to landscape an urban garden in Woodford, Essex. Here are the project details:

BRIEF:

The plot was a south facing urban garden. It was an almost completely blank canvas, with no existing plants or lawn, and a small amount of paving along the back and side of the house. There were also the remains of the foundations of an old Anderson shelter. The fences were new and in good condition, but had been painted a vivid orange which was quite heavy on the eye.

The brief was to create an attractive, functional garden, suitable for entertaining and with a space for storage out of view from the house. The client requested that some of the garden be laid to lawn, with a focal point at the bottom of the garden to enhance the view from the lounge window

SOLUTION:

The garden was sculpted with long raised beds laid around its edge, creating a clean and elegant, easy to maintain space. These beds were rendered and painted white to offset a contemporary planting palette of plum, claret and lilac. The strip of patio along the back of the house was overlaid with decking, from which a decking runway stretched the length of the garden alongside the right hand raised bed.

At the bottom of the space a dining area, constructed of a decked table and fixed bench seating enclosed on three sides by raised bed, was placed to make the most of the afternoon and early evening sun. A fixed BBQ, adorned with mosaic tiles, was also incorporated into this area.

The raised beds featured architectural planting, with carefully chosen structural and specimen plants to create an exotic appeal while keeping maintenance responsibilities to a minimum. The space between the bench area and the decking behind the house was laid with lawn. The fences were painted Seagrass to soften their effect and create a subtle backdrop to the planting. A low storage shed was built directly behind the kitchen, thus hiding it from view from the house.

A focal point was created with the construction a sunken mosaic pool, over which the decking walkway crossed. The pool was fitted with a gentle filter to maintain water clarity while preserving its natural stillness, and underwater lighting was installed to created added ambience at night.

TESTIMONIAL:

“As we sit here on a sunny evening it seems years ago since Earth Designs transformed our garden. From concept to final creation it was a pleasure to work with such a dedicated team. We put our trust in their design and construction abilities – this was definitely a good decision to make. Our initial designs were very simple and it didn’t take Kat long to see through these! Instead she questioned us about what we wanted out of the garden and designed accordingly.

Her design has met all of our needs, with areas for entertaining; quiet relaxation and watching the world go by. We cannot praise the company highly enough in terms of listening to our needs and pushing us beyond our preconceived ideas.
Her team descended on our home for a solid week and took -over the ground floor! Our terraced house has no rear access! This might have presented problems was it not for the professionalism of her team.

They respected our home and treated it with care – even as 500 breeze blocks and tons of soil were moving though! The many different people who came throughout the week became friends not workers. We trusted them and returned after a weekend away to find the house hoovered and cleaned.

You might wonder if they had been there was it not for the garden! Everything did not go to plan – but what could you expect for such a large-scale change. We were constantly kept informed of unexpected hiccups and everything was always our decision; second best was never forced upon us.

You might think it a bold statement, but the use of our house has changed following the work of Kat and Earth Designs. We use all the spaces that she created and we are outside for a great deal more time. Many parties have taken place and we look forward to many years of enjoyment from the garden. I recommend the company to you and welcome anyone who would like to see what they have created first hand.”

Earth Designs is a bespoke garden landscape design and build company specialising in classic, funky and urban contemporary garden design.

Our build teams cover London, Essex and parts of South East England, while garden designs are available nationwide.

Please visit www.earthdesigns.co.uk to see our full portfolio.

Follow our Blog on www.earthdesigns.co.uk/blog/.

If you would like to buy one of our Garden Design Gift Vouchers please our sister site www.gardenpresents.co.uk

Posted by Earth Designs – Garden Design and Build on 2010-03-10 09:30:58

Tagged: , gardendesignlondon , gardendesignerlondon , landscaperlondon , landscaperessex , gardendesignessex , gardendesigneressex , gardendesignkent , gardendesignerkent , landscapekent , landscaperkent , gardendesignhertfordshire , gardendesignherts , landscaperherts , landscaperhertfordhire , UK garden designer , gardenvouchers gardenpostaldesigns , contemporarygardenlondon , contemporarygardendesign , moderngardendesign , modernlondongardendesign , hardwood , decking , hardwooddecking , lighting , gardenlighting , bbq , flowers , flowerbed , gardens , gardening , planting , contemporaryplanting , moderngarden , modernplanting , privacy , path , gardenpath , outdoorlighting , towngarden , pavingslab , sandstonepaving , gardenseat , earthdesigns , foliage , architecturalplanting , designedgarden , designerlandscape , boldcontemporary , england , flora , flowergarden , gardendesignlondon gardendesignerlondon landscaperlondon landscaperessex gardendesignessex gardendesigneressex gardendesignkent gardendesignerkent landscapekent landscaperkent gardendesignhertfordshire gardendesignherts gardendesignerhertfordshire gardend , garden , designer , herts , hertfordshire

Great Small House Ideas Auckland. Parnell. Hulme Court. The oldest surviving house in Auckland. Built in 1843 for Sir Frederick Whitaker who much later became Prime Minister of New Zealand.

Auckland. Parnell. Hulme Court. The oldest surviving house in Auckland. Built in 1843 for Sir Frederick Whitaker who  much later became Prime Minister of New Zealand.

Bishopscourt and the Anglican precinct at Parnell.
This small area of Parnell contains the Anglican Bishopscourt – the Bishop’s Palace- the Bishop’s Library, the Dean’s Rectory, the modern Anglican cathedral and the old wooden cathedral. The first and only Bishop of New Zealand (other NZ cities had Anglican bishops by the time he left), Bishop George Selwyn ( served 1841 to 1868) chose a church at Parnell for the headquarters of his bishopric. He purchased land here in 1843 and built St Barnabas wooden Anglican in 1849 as a parish church. St Barnabas Church was removed to Mt Eden after the first wooden St Mary’s Church opened in 1860. Old St Mary’s church was relegated to a secondary place when the foundation stone of a new grand wooden cathedral was laid in 1886. The architect of what was then the largest wooden church in the world was Benjamin Mountford. He had intended his design to be built in stone but the costs were too high so wood was used instead. St Mary’s Cathedral was opened and consecrated in 1888 but was not completed until 1898 with the features and size of a grand medieval Gothic cathedral. Its stained glass windows are superb. The wooden St Mary’s Cathedral was the cathedral of Auckland until 1973 when the new stone Holy Trinity Cathedral replaced it. The foundation stone of the new cathedral was laid in 1957 but it was not fully completed until 2016 and it was finally consecrated in October 2017. The main nave was completed in 1995. In 1982 the old 1898 wooden St Mary’s Cathedral was moved across the road to be sited next to the new Holy Trinity cathedral.

Nearby are some superb Anglican historical buildings. Bishopscourt, the palatial home and chapel of Bishop George Selwyn was built in 1863. It has fine gardens which originally spread over four acres. Next to the house is the Selwyn Library also completed in wooden Gothic style. The octagonal tower was added to the library in 1862. Many of the theological books in it were presented by Bishop Selwyn with many being in Greek and Latin. It was finished in 1861 before Bishopscourt which perhaps indicated the importance Bishop Selwyn placed on his cathedral library. Around the corner in St Stephen’s Avenue is the former Anglican Deanery. The Deanery was built in black basalt stone and completed in 1857 when Bishop Selwyn moved into it before Bishopscourt was completed in 1863.The Deanery was designed by architect Frederick Thatcher. Bishop Selwyn had several stone houses built in Parnell in the 1850s by stone mason Benjamin Strange. One down the hill at 4 Takutai Street was built 1858 and later lived in by the Archdeacon of St Mary’s Church. The other is the Kinder House at 2 Ayr Street built from 1856 for the headmaster of the Church of England Grammar School who was John Kinder. Like the Deanery this basalt two storey house was designed by Frederick Thatcher. The basalt for Kinder House and the Deanery came from the volcanic cone of Mt Eden.

Back on Parnell Road is the wooden Catholic Church built in 1861 and thought to be the oldest existing Catholic Church in northern New Zealand. Also along Parnell road at no 50 is the second oldest surviving house in Auckland named Hulme Court. It was built in 1843 for Sir Frederick Whitaker who later became a Prime Minister of New Zealand. It has basalt walls, slate roof and is built in the Georgian style which is unusual for Auckland. If you walk down to Kinder House in Ayr Street just below it is Ewelme Cottage at 14 Ayr St. The front is not visible from the street but it is a good example of a wooden domestic cottage built in 1863. It was built for Rev Lush who was the Anglican vicar of the village of Howick. Lush’s sons attended the nearby Church of England Grammar School. The suburb name of Parnell has SA origins. Robert Tod (of the Tod River near Port Lincoln but not to be confused with Sir Charles Todd) purchased three acres of land here in 1841. He subdivi

Posted by denisbin on 2018-11-09 22:33:49

Tagged: , Auckland , cathedral , Anglican , stained glass , window , Mission House , Melanasian , Parnell , Hulme Court House , MIssion Bay , gothic , gable , stones , pipe organ , St MArys , wooden cathedral , lavendar

Great Small House Ideas Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens (1915)

Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens (1915)

Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens (70 acres) is a notable country estate, with gardens, located at 714 North Portage Path in Akron, Ohio. It is one of the largest homes in the United States.[3] A National Historic Landmark, it is nationally significant as the home of F. A. Seiberling, founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.

Conception & creation
The estate was built between 1912 and 1915 for F. A. Seiberling, co-founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, and his wife, Gertrude Penfield Seiberling. They named their "American Country Estate" Stan Hywet, loosely translated from Old English meaning "stone quarry" or "stone hewn," to reflect the site’s earlier use and the abandoned stone quarries located on the grounds of the Aveill Dairy estate.

F.A. and Gertrude hired three professionals to shape the outcome of this home building project: Boston landscape designer Warren Manning, New York City interior designer Hugo Huber and Cleveland architect, Charles Schneider. Schneider originally pitched his design as an employee of George Post & Sons, a New York City architectural firm. Schneider left the company in 1913, but retained creative control and oversight of the building project.

In April 1912, the Seiberlings, with oldest daughter Irene and architect Charles Schneider, traveled to England to tour approximately 20 manor homes to gather inspiration for the home’s design. Three English country homes served as the inspiration for Stan Hywet’s: Compton Wynyates, Ockwells Manor, and Haddon Hall.[5]

The long, sprawling Manor House is 64,500 square feet and includes four floors and a lower level (basement). In conceiving their dream home, the Seiberlings asked each family member what he or she desired. Gertrude requested a large music room, an indoor swimming pool for the boys, and a private office for F.A. The house included a formal dining room that would seat up to 40 people, five guest bedrooms with adjoining full bathrooms and walk-in closets, and eight live-in servants’ bedrooms.

Interior design
Interior designer Hugo Huber worked with Gertrude Seiberling to furnish the home’s interior. The pair made frequent shopping trips to New York City and Huber traveled with F.A. and Gertrude Seiberling January 1915 to England to look at antique pieces for the home. Gertrude initially wanted to furnish the entire home in period appropriate Tudor antiques but F.A. argued the large family would need comfortable furnishings. Huber compromised by integrating a selection of Tudor antiques in with contemporary 1915 furnishings that were made to look antique and fit the overall décor of the home.

Landscape design
The estate grounds, originally about 1,500 acres (6.1 km2)[5] in extent, were designed between 1911–1915 by Boston landscape architect Warren H. Manning, and remain today one of the finest examples of his work. Manning sited the house at the edge of the quarry wall overlooking a valley nearby and rolling hills in the distance.

Around the home, he created a series of vistas which related the home to the environment around it, intertwining the two in a unified design. The entrance to the property (through an existing apple orchard) and the two allées on the north and south sides of the house provide examples of vistas created by Manning using arranged plant materials. Along the back of the house, Manning manipulated existing forest plantings, and removed growth to create outlooks over miles of undisturbed countryside to capture the endless expanse of the Seiberlings’ property.

Around the Manor House, Manning designed a sequence of contrasting garden spaces which situated formal garden rooms – such as the English Garden, Breakfast Room Garden, Perennial Garden, Japanese Garden and West Terrace – within the existing natural landscape. Manning used a technique of plant massing where he used predominately native plant materials, grouping deciduous trees with small ornamental trees and swaths of perennial plantings, to carve vistas and gardens giving definition and movement to his design. The garden spaces were tailored to the needs of the Seiberling family and envisioned as outdoor rooms for the family to use for relaxation and entertaining.

The English garden was redesigned in 1929 by noted landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman. The landscape has undergone two significant restorations. The first in 1984 when a master plan was created to return the property to Warren Manning’s original landscape plan. The second occurred between 2000 and 2010 and rebuilt all of the gardens and landscaping around the Manor House.

The estate also includes a conservatory and greenhouses constructed by King Construction Company of North Tonawanda, New York, and specified the construction of a rectangular Palm House with 24′ wide greenhouse on the back with a wing on each side for a cost of $18,330. The greenhouse space behind the Palm House was initially divided into "general plant house," "orchid house" and "vegetable house." The original 1915 building was damaged in a wind storm in 1947. In 2000, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens constructed a new conservatory and greenhouses based on the original historic designs.

Recreational spaces
The estate grounds also include two tennis courts, croquet and roque courts, horse trails, four hole golf course, lagoons for swimming and boating, an indoor swimming pool and gymnasium were some of the recreational outlets available to the Seiberlings and their house guests.

Preservation
In 1957, the six Seiberling children donated Stan Hywet to the newly formed Stan Hywet Hall Foundation, a non-profit organization formed for the preservation of the estate. It is now a historic house museum and country estate, open seasonally to the public, in keeping with the stone inscription above the Manor House front door, "Non nobis solum", meaning "Not for us alone".

The Manor House is currently undergoing an extensive room-by-room restoration, funded by the successful "2nd Century Campaign" completed in 2015.

Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens is open Tuesday through Sunday, April 1 through December 30. It is closed to the public on Mondays, except Memorial Day and Labor Day. An admission fee is charged.

Posted by jaci starkey on 2018-10-18 02:31:31

Tagged: , 2013 , Ohio , mansions , Summit County , National Register of Historic PLaces

www.000webhost.com